Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Learning Lessons

I took a week off from my blog for my birthday. It was on August 30th and I turned 27.
I also took a little time off from running (only a couple of days but that makes a difference). I am also struggling with when and how to do my running routine as the seasons change and I lose my light in the morning (Any suggestions are appreciated).   

Last week, I ran once in the afternoon and was left discouraged because the heat lowered my speed and distance.  I tried at night and learned two very valuable lessons: focus and do not push yourself so hard that you get injured. Last Saturday night, I went for a run and was feeling great coming up on 25 minutes I pushed myself to complete the last five and ended up tripping on a raised part of the sidewalk and falling flat on my face. I got three really bad wounds, went to the doctor and have now been unable to run for the last four days and counting. I am very sad girl, lesson learned. 

I saw this pinned on Pinterest today and it had a very different meaning to me.
Need to put this on my treadmill...


Although, the message is true, listen to your body and be safe. 

I have not lost my will and drive to run. I can not wait til my injuries heal, however, my motivation can push me to an extreme. One must be aware when they have pushed themselves too far. 
On a positive note, before my birthday, I completed my 8 week program a week or so early and successfully ran 30 minutes straight on multiple runs. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your fall and you getting hurt! I always lose motivations when something happens that keeps me from running when I have been doing well. Your next run will be hard, but you will probably be glad to get back out there once you do. Are you going to share pics of your war wounds? :) Maybe it was your innitation to being a real runner!
    I still can't figure out what my schdule needs to be either! Once football season is over, I will be better off. But now I am only doing my group trail run on Wednesdays at 5:30 and a long trail run early Sunday mornings. My first XTERRA race is next weekend. We will see how it goes!
    Keep me updated on getting back out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Elissa! I'm doing good. It was a rough week but I am bandage free today with war wounds healing nicely. I also went for first run after and ran a 9:30 mile which is really great for me. Jesse and I also timed each other doing 200m runs.
    Thank you so much for the support.

    ReplyDelete