Wednesday, May 4, 2011

"Green" Endeavours

Up until this year, I have done the typical, easy steps to be more environmentally friendly. I will admit that I was talking the talk and not really walking the walk.  This idea of being green started in college while pursuing my interior design degree. Our focus was on the products themselves and very little else, however, being environmentally friendly encompasses so much more.

Today, I realize just how much deeper being a sustainable person goes. I made it one of my goals for this year (2011) to walk the walk to becoming more "green." It all really started with watching "No Impact Man" and finding The Zero Waste Home blog. These blogs are very disciplined examples of being sustainable. The two things that I find fascinating about these blogs are how they see the problem from so many angles and how  for these families it was a process with small, accomplish-able steps.  I believe that every little bit helps in what you are doing so this year my boyfriend and I are starting the process. I do not know if we will ever be equal to those two families, but we are making better choices because of it.

Prior to this year, I was recycling, turning lights off, and trying to use reusable bags. Already this year we have implemented a worm composter at our apartment, buying more bulk, going to farmer's markets to support our local farmers and economy, started gardens (my next blog post) and really started looking at how our items are packaged.

Our farmer's market that is within
walking distance!

Problems are numerous in our world today, but for me all I can control is what is right in front of me.  Great changes do not happen over night, they take time and dedication.  In just under six months, my boyfriend and I have made a difference that we can see.

1 comment:

  1. It's true--these two are really doing it. I am learning from them all the time. I can't wait to see your zucchinis and strawberries!

    ReplyDelete